From Zero Spring Experience to Building Your First Microservice with Spring Boot 2
Learn to build a microservice with Spring Boot. Together we will write a production-ready microservice with a REST API and cover the essentials. No prior experience with Spring needed.
This is the second and current edition which was heavily revised.
Our guides give you brief lessons on a single topic to get you started in no time. We leave the fluff out so you can focus and learn better and faster.
We build a real application (less than 850 lines of code though) using a standard Maven project structure together, and I will explain you the steps and libraries involved on the go.
You learn best by coding. The way I love learning too.
What you will build:
We build a Microservice for storing comments and providing a REST Interface for interacting with the data. The sample application is modeled after a real production application to guide you through building your first Spring Boot application.
What you will learn:
- What problem the Spring Framework actually solves
- The basics of the Spring Framework aka Core
- How to build a microservice with Spring Boot 2
- How to work with a relational database using the Spring Data JPA Framework
- How to write the REST API using Spring MVC
- How to create a service layer and integrate a legacy library using its own Spring ApplicationContext in an XML file
- How to test the application
- A simple way to secure your application
- How to use monitoring and health check out of the box with Spring Boot
- How to deploy your application
- How to navigate in the project with Maven
You must have experience with Java as we are not covering Java basics. Everything else we use is covered in the guide.
If you have questions, do not hesitate and contact me using the email address at the end of the book. I'll answer your questions and improve the book with your feedback.